In 1951 Delhi State Govt. converted this Nursing Home into a General hospital offering basic preventive and curative OPD services with 127 beds for in-patients. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi took over the hospital in 1958 and the Ministry of Health, Govt. of India, designated this hospital as a referral hospital in 1963. Hindu Rao Hospital is a modern care modern multi-specialty hospital catering to all sections of the society.