Govt Mental Hospital Amritsar was established in the year 1948 when non- muslim patients admitted in Mental hospital, Lahore were transferred to Amritsar and were initially housed in an old building which was once used for juvenile offenders. Govt of Punjab established an 811 bedded hospital in an area of 108 Acres. In the year 2001, the administrative control of the hospital was transferred to Punjab Health Systems Corporation and a new and beautiful building for a 450 bedded hospital having all the facilities was built and commissioned in 2003 and the hospital has been named as Institute of Mental Health (Govt. Mental Hospital) Amritsar. The hospital has well qualified staff and is affiliated and accredited to National Board of Examinations, New Delhi for imparting training in Psychiatry for D.N.B. Presently, two candidate for DNB Primary and two for DNB Secondary course are admitted every year.