Government Ayurvedic College was established in the year 1952. The Government Ayurvedic College Patiala and hospital is one of the apex institute of Ayurveda in Punjab working as a model institute for evolving high standards of teaching, training, patient care and research activities. It was affiliated to PEPSU Ayurvedic Board, later on get affiliated with Punjab Ayurvedic & Unani Faculty of medicine. In 1970, the institute got affiliation from Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab. After establishment of Baba Farid University of Health Science Faridkot, Punjab, the institute was affiliated with BFUHS from 1999-2011. In 2011 after freedom of a separate Guru Ravidas Ayurvedic University, Hoshiarpur (Punjab), the institute in currently affiliated with Guru Ravidas Ayurvedic University, Hoshiarpur (Punjab) till date.
Auditorium: The institute has state of Art Auditorium with a capacity of 400 seats. The Auditorium is well aerated, with ultramodern echo system and various audio visuals programs for the education of students are organized form time to time.
Library: The institute has a well furnished Library with a total of 13927 journals, magazines, books, bulletins, leading national and local dailies. The Book Bank has 4392 books for distribution to students of reserved category.
Hostel Facility: The institute has a separate Hostel Facility for boys and girls in the campus. The boys Hostel has 102 intake capacity and the girl Hostel has 86 intake capacity.
Sports Facility: The institute has playgrounds for physical maintenance of health for students. Various sports related activities are organized from time to time in the institute and students of the institute have honored the institute at state as well as national level.