The institute was initially established as "Escola Medico Cirurgica da Goa" in 1842 during Portuguese rule and renamed Goa Medical College in 1963. It is one of the oldest Medical colleges in Asia. The college is under Goa University since 1986 before which it was under Bombay University. Goa Medical College Hospital which now has its headquarters in Bambolim has a long tradition of providing quality services to all sections of society. The Medical College besides striving to achieve excellence in patient care, has been instrumental in training a large number of medical professionals who are providing yeomen services to the people in Goa and other parts of India and all over the world.