Fellowship in Orthognathic Surgery
Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India (AOMSI)
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Goal of the Course is to establish a comprehensive training program for maxillofacial surgeons in orthognathic surgery.
Knowledge: The trainee should acquire detailed knowledge pertaining to the cases requiring orthognathic surgery based on history, clinical and radiological evaluations and complete knowledge of all aspects of the diagnosis, treatment planning and management of patients requiring and undergoing orthognathic surgery to achieve desirable and planned esthetics and function.
Skills &Attitudes: The trainee should, at the end of training period, be able to diagnose, plan and manage cases requiring orthognathic surgery. The specific surgical skills required are:
- Patient selection for Orthognathic Surgery
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning for Orthognathic Surgery
- The Application of Video Imaging Technique to Orthognathic Surgery
- Orthodontic Preparation for Orthognathic Surgery
- Model Surgery
- Wound Healing and Peri-operative Management
- Maxillary and Midfacial Procedures
- Mandibular Procedures
- Combined Maxillary and Mandibular Surgery
- Orthognathic Surgery before Completion of Growth
- Maxillofacial Surgery for Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
- Rehabilitation after Orthognathic Surgery
The trainee should develop a compassionate attitude towards dealing with both the patients as well as their relatives.
It is essential to develop skills required to maintain a harmonious working relationship with all the specialists involved such that the principles of good team management can be established.
The candidates applying for fellowship should have successfully completed either of the following:
- MDS in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery in DCI approved program.
- Passed FDSRCS from the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Glasgow or Edinburgh.
- Passed FFDRCSI from the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.
MDS Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery